Sunday, February 14, 2010

What Love Is This

Today is Valentines Day. On this day we celebrate that special someone who God has allowed in our life. I thank God daily for the wonderful lady He allowed me to marry ten years ago. Through the last ten years we have watched God do some remarkable things in and through our lives. I have watched my wife face struggles and adversities with a smile and the courage that can only come from the Lord. Yet, there is another Who's love is unmatchable!

The following is the Sunday Morning message for Calvary Baptist Church on this Special Valentines Day. The message focuses what love this is that God so willingly and freely bestowed upon us.

It's....

I. A Persistent Love (Romans 8:38, 39)
• It holds on through the toughest of times.
• The love of God surrounds us and is evidence to the world by HIS grace and mercy.
• He loves us when we fall; He loves us when we sin; He loves us when we fail to show Him love!
• Because of His love – He will never let me down!
• The persistence of God’s love toward me should motivate and compel me to show that same love to this dying world.
i. Our hearts should spring forth with the love that was shown to me; so much so that I burst with compassion toward a world that needs to experience this unmatchable LOVE that I have found.
• Love is blended with the power of LONG-SUFFERING; for HIS love persists through the amount of suffering we have caused HIM – YET – THROUGH IT ALL – He still loves me.
II. A Powerful Love (John 15:13)
• The Love of Christ kept Him focused on His destiny – Calvary’s Cross.
• The Love of Christ set me free from the bondage of sin and death and an eternity of a Christ-less Hell!
• What is Love – I John 4:8 tells me that GOD IS LOVE!
i. God IS LOVE; therefore, Love IS God! Love is intertwined with the Power of FORGIVENESS and SELFLISSNESS– look at Calvary.
• The Power of God’s Love is what gets me through the difficult times in my Christian life.
III. A Pure Love (John 3:16)
• He does not love us for we have to offer.
• He loved a world that many times shows Him nothing in return.
• I John 3:16, “Hereby perceive we the love of God, because he laid down his life for us: and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren.”
• Romans 13:10 says that “love worketh no ill to his neighbor”.
i. Love is pure and is not to be tainted with selfish gripes and the desires for personal advancements that leaves a trail of hurt and misery.
ii. The love we show is to resemble the Love Jesus showed – a selfless love that benefits me nothing, but others everything!
1. Jesus benefited nothing by loving us – he lost sole right to His Father’s throne by allowing us to become JOINT-Heirs with Him; He lost INNOCENCE by becoming SIN for all mankind; He lost fellowship with His Father for a time while shedding His blood, but my friend – HE WOULD DO IT ALL AGAIN – for His love is pure!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Pastor, I had to work yesterday BUT I did get to listen to your message through the church website. It was AWESOME!!! I too am so thankful for the wonderful lady God blessed me with to be my wife. We have had our share of ups and downs over the past twenty-plus years, but I always try to remember the scripture that admonishes us as husbands to love our wives even as Christ loves the church. AMEN!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Pastor! I had to work yesterday, BUT, Debby and I did listen to the messages on-line! We LOVED both of them!!!!

    ReplyDelete